Donaldson Timber Engineering has always aspired to be the best at what it does. With this in mind, we at DTE identified the need to extend our environmental credentials beyond chain of custody, and we took the decision to install the internationally recognised Environmental Management System ISO 14001. This standard is designed to help us remain commercially successful without overlooking environmental responsibilities and impacts. It can also help us to grow sustainably, whilst reducing the environmental impact of this growth.
So what are the benefits of achieving ISO 14001?
- Better environmental management, which helps reduce waste and energy use
- Improving efficiency, which helps us cut the cost of running our business
- Allowing us to expand our business opportunities through compliance
- Meeting legal obligations to win greater stakeholder and customer trust
- Instilling confidence in addressing the changing business landscape
We worked closely with the IMS Team to prepare for the assessment. This meant adapting a new approach to the environment, and specifically, we had to change how we dealt with our waste.
Although there is still a lot of work to be done, I am pleased to confirm that all the hard work paid off and we have achieved our accreditation to this standard.
However, in order to continually improve, we have set the following objectives:
- Convert lighting on all sites to LED within 2 years
- Replace heating systems with more environmentally appropriate heating within 2 years
- Reduce waste to landfill by 25% within 2 years from 2015/16 levels
- Maintain chain of custody certification
- Improve housekeeping and measure success through monthly management walk-arounds
These meet our ISO 14001 and Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) targets and set us up for our next challenge, ISO 50001!